Hello! Welcome to my blog. Please join me on my expedition!

Monday, October 27, 2008

Sooo Much to Share!



Okay, first things first. Your questions.

I'm on the bottom bunk. It's got a big spring that sticks in my back, but I don't really care. I fell asleep last night with all the lights on and others still talking!

There are 2 PhD students (research scientists) and a research assistant leading, teaching and helping us on the trip, and seven teachers (including me). The teachers are from Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, Florida, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. We are helping Rebecca Hazen with her dissertation research project, which involves surveying plants, caterpillars, and parasatoids (that feed on and harm the caterpillars).

The racks we hung up will be where we hang the caterpillars. We'll need to feed them, clean their bags, identify them and log data about them on the computer.

Today we learned how to collect caterpillars, how to identify them and collect enough food for them, and what data to write down.

We hiked out into the bottomland hardwood tupelo forest (look up what this is!)and survey a 10 meter by 10 meter plot of the forest. We surveyed every inch! And every leaf. It took many hours, but it was fun. I learned how to estimate the total leaves on a tree, and how to estimate the amount of leaves that have been eaten by caterpillars and insects. I also learned how to enter the data in a spread sheet in a palm pilot. There is so much to learn! I learned to identify sweet gum trees, illax desciduous, and holly trees. We were starving when we got back to the bunkhouse.



Tomorrow I will kayak ALL DAY to plots only reachable by water. I will be a water level with water moccasins (dangerous snakes), alligators, maybe feral hogs (I guess they can be mean, especially mamas!). I expect to be just a little nervous and a whole lot excited. I love to kayak, and this area wild and beautiful. It reminds we of prehistoric times.

Scary things? Ready for it, here's a list:

*Chiggers: (they burrow in your skin and stay for two weeks). None yet, thankfully!
*Stinging Caterpillars: Many are pretty and colorful, but will sting you like a sudden burn if you touch them. Yikes! I have to be careful when turning over leaves searching
*Biting Snakes: these are why we wear big rubber boots (I'll bring mine in and show up), so if we step on one, they won't bite our ankles. We've seen none yet.
*Feral hogs: like I mentioned above

I a bit nervous about these things, but not too much. I just have to pay attention and dress in a protective way (long sleeves, pants, boots). Do you think Miss Robitaille would like this trip :)!

Okay: a challenge. Who can tell me 4 parts of a caterpillar? Please write it in your journal and post a comment with your answer.

And, we did so much math today, you sixth graders. We estimated total reachable leaves by counting the leaves on a branch, then estimating total branches, then the whole tree. Then we estimated how much of the tree had been defoliated by caterpillars and insects. So, how do you think we did that?

If I counted 50 leaves on a branch, and about 7 of the leaves were eaten total (including some partials and whole leaves), about what percentage of the leaves are remaining? Try to figure it out in your math journals. I can post and help if you need it.



I'm having trouble uploading video. I'll try again later!

love,

Ms. Farber

5 Comments:

At October 28, 2008 at 12:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ms. Farber,

You trip sounds really exciting! How many different caterpillars have you found so far? What other new things have you learned about? Can you send pictures of the caterpillars you study?

See you soon,

Cody

 
At October 28, 2008 at 12:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ms. Farber,

Thank you so much for sharing all your learning experiences with us. The students are very excited to read what you write each day. Mrs. G is doing great!!! But we all miss you like crazy! Can't wait for our conference on Thursday.

Love,

Miss R

P.S. What makes you think I would not love a trip like this? Ha ha

 
At October 28, 2008 at 12:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ms.Farber,
This is Ethan and Corrigan!
Have you seen any spooky ghosts at your hotel yet? Have you seen any cool caterpillars? where are you going to see different caterpillars? Who have you met on your trip? Did you make any new friends? We hope you make it back safe! Enjoy yourself! We also figured out the question you asked about what river was north of New Orleans. The answer is Baton Rouge.

 
At October 28, 2008 at 12:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ms. Farber,
What you're doing sounds really interesting and cool. As for the four parts of a caterpillar there are only three parts head, thorax and abdomen, do you know of another part? We miss you, but it sounds like you're having a lot of fun. The chigger bugs sound awful and disgusting! We also don't want to meet any of those other scary things! We hope you have a great time.
Sincerely,
Zoe and Quynne

 
At October 28, 2008 at 3:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

86% of the leaves are untouched

The four body parts are Abdomen Thorax Antennae Mandible


Russell+Jake

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home