Hello! Welcome to my blog. Please join me on my expedition!

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Exploring Plot 218!



We kayaked up the Pearl River today, in search of new land to survey. It was exciting because the land had river been surveyed before. I could really see how the forest was damaged from Katrina. The trees were all cut off on top, and very young. And they had lots of thorny bushes and poison ivy. I saw houses along the river ruined, and many that were fixed up.

The river is the color of mud, and it is very active with birds (kingfishers, bald eagle,blue herons, owls and woodpeckers, all of which we heard or saw).

I found a stinging caterpillar called a Limacodidae (I like to call it lime aid). It is white and fuzzy with iridescent green on it. I will try to find a picture to show you. It didn't sting me, thankfully! I was happy to find it.

We spent 3 or 4 hours in a 10 by 10 plot, turning over every single leaf. It was daunting, and overwhelming, but once we got going it was easier (and exciting- I had no idea what we would find).

Then we paddled back, into the sunset, with the caterpillars in bags in my lap. I got back around 6pm, tired and hungry, but feeling like we had accomplished something.

More later, my friends. I miss you and I hope you are having a good week.

1 Comments:

At October 30, 2008 at 2:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ms. Farber

We are enjoying your blogs and hope that you are having a great time on your adventure. It sounds like fun! We are keeping very, very busy and we are looking forward to a real video conference with you.

Be safe and have fun!

Your 5/6 class

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home