Hello! Welcome to my blog. Please join me on my expedition!

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Caterpillar or Tube of Poo?



I've found that I need to use my observation skills in new ways here. Lots of patience, and careful looking. Science takes a lot of looking.

In this video I am doing what we call "zoo". I'm emptying out the bags (cleaning out the poo, also called "fras"), checking to see if the caterpillars are alive, parasitized (eaten by wasps or flies from the inside out), or if they have expired (died), or if they had pupated (turned into a pupae, getting ready to be an adult moth or butterfly).

All of these will tell the researchers important information. They are gathering all the information about the caterpillars and plants that they can, so they can see the overall trends in relation to global warming and the hurricane.

So, while my video is in jest, every single observation is valuable and progresses the project.

Looking carefully is a life skill. I'm still learning. As you all know, I am a bit spazzy :) and have to remind myself to SLOW DOWN and look at everything.

Please list the 3 new vocabulary words with pictures in your science notebooks. It will count as a homework score for science. And every one of you whose parents post a comment will get a point extra credit. Please show your parents all the hard work and real science I have been doing (plus all the ways I'm sharing it with you).

I will post again soon with more pictures. This video posted really quickly which makes me happy (usually it takes hours!). I had a great conference with Miss Robitaille's class and look forward to our on Monday.

PS- So, where we are staying tomorrow night, the folks from the TV show the Ghost Hunter has visited. Apparently, on the third floor, is a ghost who levitated (that means lifted) a bed with a couple in it awhile ago. Also, a cup and saucer have moved on their own (!) in the dining room. The man from the Ghost Hunter sensed the ghost's presence, and they will film a show there soon. I don't think I believe it, but I will be looking around, using my observation skills on Halloween night when I sleep there!!

5 Comments:

At October 31, 2008 at 10:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear ms.farber
what are you doing today are you having fun do you like being there how many people are there how many caterpilers have you found. what is the biggest caterpiler you have found.

from megan and jin

 
At October 31, 2008 at 11:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey tell us about the goost story


kaitlynn

 
At October 31, 2008 at 12:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ms. Farber
We really liked the ghost story and the video. We like the "lime aid" caterpillar. We had fun talking to you yesterday. Sounds like your having fun, it sounds exciting. Can't wait 'till you're back.

from
Jade, Quinn, and Zoe.

 
At October 31, 2008 at 1:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you going to be sleeping in the
room that the ghost leviated the bed?


by.liza

 
At October 31, 2008 at 2:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ms. Farber,
I think the CATERPILLAR was really cool. I am really looking forward to reading another blog. I miss you and I hope you are having fun.

SINCERELY,
AMBER





















'

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home